One of the most important parts of your bedroom is your closet, and one important part of your closet is the closet doors. The doors of a closet provide many benefits. For one, it makes your bedroom look more organized, even if your closet is a mess because the door hides your clothes from plain sight. Also, it protects your clothes from the dust and dirt present in your bedroom, especially if you are cleaning your bedroom.
These are the main functions of the doors of your closet. You might think very little of it but it is just as important as the closet itself. This is why it is important to know how to properly care for this closet feature. Here are some useful tips on how to care for your closet door.
- Always close the door when you are not looking for something in your closet. An open closet door is more prone to damages, especially a standard door that is attached on hinges or a swinging door that opens in and out. This is because people can bump into the door and can damage the door, or worse, cause accidents or injuries. Aside from preventing accidents and damages, closing the door of your closet at all times keeps your clothes clean and your bedroom neat.
- For wooden doors, apply a fresh coat of paint or varnish whenever you see that the paint is peeling or fading. This will prevent further damage and can also make your closet look brand new. A fresh coat of paint or varnish is also pleasing to the eyes. Your bedroom’s look will greatly improve just by painting your closet door.
- For mirrored closet doors, always make sure that you wipe the mirror with a clean and lint-free cloth to always keep it clean. You do not want to see fingerprints or smudges on the surface of your mirrored door. You should also avoid touching the mirrored part of the door, unless absolutely necessary to keep it clean.
- Do not close the door too hard to prevent damage. If you are angry at something or someone, do not take your anger out on your closet door or you will end up with a broken door that needs repair, which could cost money. Likewise, when you open the door, do not open it too wide, in the case of hinged doors, to prevent it from falling off its hinges.
- When you see cracks, holes, or other minor damages, you need to do something about it immediately to prevent the damage from becoming worse. You can do the minor repairs yourself or you can ask for an expert’s assistance.
- Do not store too many clothes inside your closet that will make it difficult for you to close its doors. A bulging closet is not good for the doors because it leaves the doors open. And as stated earlier, an open closet can cause accidents more than a closed closet. Store the right amount of clothes inside your closet to protect its closet doors.